AMLo Biosciences Ltd - Research Technician
- Job Title:
- Research Technician
- Technical roles
- Closing Date:
AMLo Biosciences is an early stage biotechnology company based in the Biosphere Building on Newcastle Helix. We are developing a range of prognostic tests for oncology indications to improve patient outcomes and save healthcare resources. Our first product, AMBLor, targets the deadliest skin cancer, melanoma, identifying tumours which are at low-risk of recurrence or spread by analysis of the primary tumour biopsy. This test is currently undergoing clinical and analytical validation to allow CE marking in mid-2021. Our next two products target another skin cancer indication, cSCC and the head and neck cancer, OPSCC. Both these products are at the R&D stage.
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated and experienced research technican to join a vibrant lifesciences company. We are looking to recruit a specialist research technician to support our ongoing product development of a range of prognositc tests for early stage cancers.
The ideal person will have experience of a wide range of technical support activities including ELISAs, western blotting, immunohistochemistry and tissue culture. Experience preparing of COSH assessments and SOPs is essential with the ideal candidate having previous experience of working in an industrial /clinical laboratory setting within a Quality Management System.
Reporting to the AMLo Biosciences Research and Development Manager, the role will display an in-depth knowledge of technical or scientific practices, methods and procedures gained through either experience and/or formal qualification and will deploy this knowledge to provide a range of technical support activities.
• Maintenance of laboratory calibration and service records
• Liaise with suppliers and manufacturers to resolve routine problems and investigate replacement options
• By developing local procedures, establish and maintain a safe/compliant working environment
• Hold specific safety responsibilities relevant to the specialism
• Assist with the completion and updating of a wide range of Quality and technical file paperwork
• Oversee compliance tasks ensuring timely completion and maintenance of appropriate records.
• Maintain in-depth and up-to-date health and safety knowledge relevant to the specialism.
• Schedule, prioritise and monitor work in line with demands and deadlines.
• Participate in progress meetings.
• Contribute to project delivery and planning.
• Monitoring of resource usage.
• Create, update and implement procedures to deliver an aligned, efficient and effective service.
• Prepare and manufacture specimens/samples requiring specialist skills with limited direction
• Assist managers with the identification of training and development needs.
• Maintain specialist knowledge and skills, sharing with others
• Carry out any other duties, which may arise commensurate with the grade of the post.
• Participate in related cutaneous laboratory research led by the laboratory of Professor Lovat at Newcastle University
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Extensive experience of technical skills and procedures related to protein analysis required within accredited laboratories eg- ISO or GLP
• Technical experience of molecular biology and tissue culture
• Thorough working knowledge of Health and Safety procedures
• Excellent team working skills
• Demonstrates technical and problem-solving capacity
• Experience of working within a Quality Management System (Desirable)
• Demonstrates good organising ability to meet deadlines, with a positive and proactive approach to duties and diligence and attention to detail
• Ability to adapt to changes in laboratory research priorities
Attributes and Behaviour
• Tact, diplomacy and able to handle difficult situations
• Ability to meet deadlines with effective time and resource management.
• Clear communicator and active listener
• Consistent and appropriate approach to staff and situations
• Use of feedback for process improvement and staff development
• Team player, self starter and able to manage complex workload
• BTEC HNC / HND; or A’ level (or equivalent) qualification; or broad work experience acquired through a combination of vocational training and considerable on-the-job experience, demonstrating development through progressively more demanding relevant roles.
• Professional registration with an accredited professional body (including HEA) or working towards this on appointment (Desirable)
• Works collaboratively with others, plays a positive role in teams and establishes and grows relationships across the organisation where different skills, expertise and opinions are valued.
• Shares relevant and useful information with others
• Respects the expertise and contribution of others even if own opinion is different
• Willing to help others and share workloads
Planning and organising (Self)
• Works in a planned and structured way
• Ensures that all activities are completed on time
• Ensures that others know how processes and systems work
• Set own priorities in conjunction with team and area objectives
Delivering services (Self)
• Getting the job done well
• Keeps fellow team members up to date with progress
• Co-operates with others in achieving targets
• Takes responsibility for achieving own targets
• Has a positive attitude for doing things better
• Looks for ways to make immediate improvements (quick wins)
• Pays attention to detail
• Strives to deliver high quality results
• Is enthusiastic in getting the job done on time
• Clear communicator
• Is factually correct and gives consistent verbal and non verbal messages
• Clear and concise; gets the message across to others
• Chooses communication tools appropriately e.g. selective use of emails and other channels of communication
• Tailors content of communication to the audience, changing style, tone and format appropriately
• Uses face to face communication regularly; team meetings, one to ones, informal discussions/chats, briefing sessions etc
• Can hold attention of others using appropriate techniques; questioning, rhetorical questions, changing tone and pace of voice and animated style.
Embracing Change (Self)
• Making improvements in your own role
• Anticipates change and prepares for it
• Accepts change and “runs” with it
• Willing to experiment, enterprising in approach
• Builds on others’ ideas and suggestions
• Willing to change ways and policies in light of new information
Term: 12 months in first instance
Hours: 37.5h per week, Monday-Friday
Renumeration: £23k p.a. plus pension contribution
Please submit a letter describing how you skills and experience match the job description accompanied by a current CV to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is 1st December 2020. Interviews will take place week commencing 14th December.