Reading Scientific Services Ltd - RSSL Scientist II Physical Sciences
- Job Title:
- RSSL Scientist II Physical Sciences
- Technical roles
- Closing Date:
The role at Scientist II is to undertake a practical role with possible supervisory responsibilities within the Physical Sciences laboratory, working on a variety of projects in both the food and pharmaceutical sectors and managing some of these projects.
To apply for this role please click here.
Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL) is a cutting-edge Contract Research Organisation (CRO), providing research, analysis and consultancy to the pharmaceutical, healthcare and food sectors. Whether we are creating new products, validating medicines or solving investigations, we take pride in being a leader in our field, serving clients from across 60 countries.
In 2019, we’ve been recognised as OBN’s Best CRO, Women in Business Enlightened Employer and Business of the Year award winners.
Enriched by our parent company Mondelēz International, our diverse team includes 22 nationalities from 300 members, creating a family feel as we strive towards our mission of science enhancing lives.
How you will contribute
You plan and execute experiments and apply your fundamental understanding to analysis of results. You also plan and implement projects, taking corrective measures when necessary and communicate effectively with others in your functional area and across the organization globally.
You will be responsible for performing a range of analyses to ensure that projects are completed effectively, and time, and which meet customers’ expectations. Under supervision, you will set up new analytical methods using existing technology and instruments and plan and implement new experiments, providing data for validation. To succeed in this role, you will use your strong teamwork skills to collaborate with others to perform analyses and report work in accordance with analytical standards, ensure effective organization of your assigned workload, and assess the integrity and accuracy of the analytical data generated.
Maintaining a clean, tidy and safe working environment is crucial in your role, so you will use the laboratory’s best practices in your work. You will use your knowledge of generic and specific software packages (such as analytical instruments and statistics) and deliver technical reports and presentations to internal groups. In addition, you will train and mentor junior team members in analysis and laboratory programs and provide administrative support for laboratory management.
What you will bring
A desire to drive your future and accelerate your career. You will bring experience and knowledge in:
- Consumer science at a senior level with emphasis on the fast-moving consumer goods area
- Applying sensory and consumer research in a fast-moving consumer goods, client-side commercial environment
- Line management, leading teams and coaching and mentoring others
- Partnering with clients and stakeholders as individuals and teams and building relationships
- Using negotiation skills effectively to resolve conflict
- Communicating effectively, verbally and in writing, and good organizational development skills
- Maintaining a safe working environment for self and others
More about this role
The role at Scientist II is to undertake a practical role with possible supervisory responsabilities within the Physical Sciences laboratory, working on a variety of projects in both the food and pharmaceutical sectors and managing some of these projects. This role focuses on routine and investigative analyses of products and method development and validations for particle characterization, thermal and rheological properties using techniques such as DSC/TGA, DVS, Powder Flow, SSA, texture and laser diffraction. Supervise and train junior members of the team as required. Client contact and administrative support for laboratory management.
Primary Accountabilities / Responsibilities
- Provide high quality customer service at all times by ensuring effective organisation of assigned workload, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results
- Perform a range of routine and investigative analysis using particle size laser diffraction analyzer, DLS, SSA, powder rheometers, DSC/TGA, texture and zetasizer (and other techniques as required) independently and provide interpretation of results generated as required.
- Perform method development, transfers and design validation protocols with support.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the assigned systems including checking and approving supplier’s reports (qualifications, repairs and preventative reports).
- Assist with technical aspects for client proposals for method development, transfers and validation protocols.
- Be a superuser in the use of Laboratory LIMS, Q Pulse and specific equipment software and proficient at setting up reports and troubleshooting.
- Provide training and supervise junior staff in routine activities and methods. Will be expected to work in different laboratories if the demand is required.
Communication & Influence
- Work as part of an efficient analytical team
- To liaise with clients, business development and line management to ensure effective communication of project proposals and results.
- Participate in client and stake holders meetings as required
- Deliver presentations to technical stakeholders and clients as required
- Manage small projects or defined areas of larger projects
Leadership and supervision
- Plan own workload and plan routine projects for junior staff
- Train junior members of the team in routine methods
- Work to the highest standards of safety and quality by ensuring that appropriate COSHHs, risk assessments and SOPs are understood and followed.
- To complete assigned quality actions on a timely manner
- Assist with the documentation of SOPs for simple equipment and tests and generation of Risk Assessments and COSHH
- To maintain a clean, tidy and safe working environment.
- To understand and work to the requirements of GMP and UKAS.
- Ensure training records are accurate.
- Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Language Requirements
- Knowledge: including education, qualifications and training
- Educated to Degree or PhD in a relevant scientific discipline or equivalent relevant experience in a laboratory.
- Good understanding of laser diffraction, DLS, SSA, powder rheometers, DSC/TGA, texture analysers and zetasizer.
- Scientific understanding and ability to independently conduct chemical analysis in relevant area
- Accountable, honest, hardworking and able to work efficiently in a team
- Flexible and adaptable to meet customer/business requirements. Well organised and capable of working on multiple activities concurrently.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Good verbal and written skills with the ability to communicate with client’s and colleagues
- Self motivated, enthusiastic and quick to learn.
- Able to organise own work and others to maximise output
- Computer literate in standard MS office applications
- Experience of working with thermal analysis, physical properties testing and project management
- Experience of working in a regulated environment.
- English fluency (written and spoken)